Re: Mike McQueen new email

 > From: "Mike M." <http://profiles.yahoo.com/handmeat>
 > Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 02:28:38 -0800 (PST)
 >
 > > I'm doubtful that I'll ever run Ubuntu -- I think
 > > I'll continue to stick
 > > with Debian because I can continue to have complete
 > > control over my
 > > system....
 > >

 > well, i think ubuntu gives you complete control, but
 > it gives you a "all-in-one setup" and other install
 > tools (and their associated repository binaries) to
 > make it easier to upgrade (like yum, apt-get -- which
 > are also in debian i'm sure).

Ah, but you assume that I run a windowing system.  The good thing about
Debian is that I can tailor it right from the start, including omitting a
windowing system, or using an alternate system.

 > one nice thing is there
 > are kernel binaries, for example.  i can yum update
 > kernel-binaries-i386 or whatever, and reboot, and boom
 > i have a new kernel.  no compilation required.  this
 > is ultimately the direction linux will have to go for
 > mainstream acceptance.

Ubuntu is actually Debian-based.  I guess they have both for people who
are used to Redhat's yum.  (Redhat's packaging system is not nearly as
powerful as Debian's.)

The reason I chose Debian back in 1999 was the ability to upgrade my
machine over the internet.  Which is exactly what I did this last time --
first time without using CDs.  (I went from Woody to Sarge.)  It took
several hours, but it was better than waiting days for the CDs.

Redhat never had this ability, and probably won't at this rate.

 > > > i forwarded your mail to mike hamrick.
 > >
 > > What's his e-mail addr
 >
 > http://www.muppetlabs.org/~mikeh as far as i know.  i believe it's
 > been the same one for a long time (10 years).  he's a
 > quiet fellow, i don't hear much out of him.

Hmm, that was the e-mail I had.  For some reason, it must've bounced at
some point.  I'll try again.

Why do you want this page removed?