RE: computer geek open to opportunities

LinkedIn

Robert has sent you a message.

Date: 2/13/2012

Subject: RE: computer geek open to opportunities

> From: Ben Morss
> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 15:54:14 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Why did posting your resume lead you down the path to doom?

What would happen is that I would apply to many, many jobs online and my resume would go into the vortex. I feel that these days it would be more helpful to find the people behind the posted job first and then bother them. I guess " doom" in my case was that I was stuck in a rut, thinking only in a narrow way, and caused me to be unemployed for a long time.

> For me,
> the key was posting mine on dice.com -- it wasn't hard to separate
> the real recruiters from the fly-by-night ones, and they got me lots
> of good interviews. And you have way more experience on your resume
> than I did!

Presently, I haven't applied to a single job (except one). All my interviews and everything has either been via recruiters contacting me because of my LinkedIn profile or through friends sending my resume.

But, I'm guessing that that won't last forever, so I'm going the purely [person level] networking route...

> The Times is hiring, definitely, but you'd probably have to move from
> where you are now :-) Lots of other companies around here are hiring,
> and I imagine that must be true on the West Coast as well?
>
> As far as consulting goes -- I just consulted as me, and companies
> gave me 1099 forms, and I had to pay a bundle in estimated taxes.
> I've done a Schedule C for my musical activities for years anyway, so
> it wasn't anything new. The recruiters kept talking about working
> "corp-to-corp" and I thought it might have been superior in some way,
> but I have no idea how you set up your own corporation.
>
> Hope that helps a little tiny bit....

Yeah. So, I guess you didn't have to get Errors and Omissions Insurance? That sounds good.

Thanks for the advice!

> -ben-

Why do you want this page removed?