my-Oakland-voicemail-number (voicemail)
our-San-Jose-phone-number
our-Oakland-cell-phone-number (cell)
http://dummy.us.eu.org/robert

My solstice update is below.

News

Lifestyle
  * Careers
    * That was short-lived.  After 8 months of full-time employment,
      So_ny restructured my group out of existence -- only my
      second lay-off ever (I expect there to be many more).
    * Plop down into another position.  Within days of finding out that So_ny
      was laying me off, a recruiter contacted me about a software engineering
      position at Tell_me.  As some of you may know, I have always been
      interested in speech recognition technology and been keen about Tell_me.
      I enthusiastically interviewed there and got the position -- I was
      unemployed for just 5 days.
    * You're warmer.  We had our house-warming in May, several months
      after moving to where-I-live.  It was actually a BBQ.  It wasn't that
      hot and all had a good time.
    * It was never this hard.  The water, that is.  Slowly, over several
      months, the dishwasher left more and more detritus on the glasses
      and plates, leaving a white glaze.  It's pretty annoying.  The
      hardness of the water also explains the white splotches on the
      ground in the backyard.
    * Renters not immune.  In April, we discovered that the toilet was
      leaking and managed to destroy the bathroom floor.  It had to be
      completely ripped out and rebuilt.  We were without a bathroom for
      several weeks.  We were "lucky" because our manager was out of town
      during this period and we could use his bathroom.  It was a real
      drag, especially when your bladder filled in the middle of the
      night.  It made us realize how inconvenient life will be after a
      major earthquake.
  * Transportation
    * Commuting
      * No views of mountains.  My new commute takes me to Mountain View
	and is a much longer commute.  I commute either via light rail,
	which in total is a little over 1 hour, or via Caltrain, which in
	total is a little under 1 hour.  (I must ride my bicycle when
	taking Caltrain, so I get some exercise as well.)  The upside of
	my longer commute is that my magazine collection has actually been
	shrinking because I finally have time to read!
    * Bicycle
      * Had just about enough.  I was getting sick to death of having to
        repair the tires on Noelle's old Peugeot bicycle, which I was
        using on my commute, and invested in a new bicycle.  I bought a
        Trek 7300 "commuter" bicycle, women's frame.  It's definitely the
        best bicycle I've owned thus far.  It's comfortable and a pleasure
        to ride.  It also seems to be more robust than the Peugeot -- the
        tire rim has not yet dented despite encountering several obstacles.
      * Critical mass still not yet reached.  where-I-live does now have a
        Critical Mass bicycle ride, but, unless I take some time off from
        work, it's so far from my workplace that it's unlikely that I'll
        ever make it.
      * Like the energizer bunny.  My old 1990 Trek mountain bike
	continues to live.  I had bought a chain for this bicycle a few
	years ago, but only got to installing it at the end of summer.  It
	will now a happy bike and, amazingly, the click has finally gone
	away!  Unlike my PCs (see Technology section below), I'm loathe to
	get this of this bike because of all the customizations I've made
	to it over the years and the unreplaceability of many of the
	accessories.
      * There's strength in a union.  I attended a Silicon Valley Bicycle
	Coalition meeting.  I wanted to attend this particular meeting
	because a lawyer made a presentation covering bicycling and the
	law.  It's sort of a drag to go there because the only way to get
	back is via Caltrain.  But, the regular meetings are only about 3
	miles from my work.  I may go again some time.
    * Buses
  * Travel
    * A small town visit.  Compared with where-I-live, Portland is a tiny
      city.  But, it does have the advantage of density.  Noelle and I
      visited Portland in late April; we stayed at a hotel convenient to
      downtown cafes, shops, stores, and culture.  We mostly hung out with
      Noelle's friend.  One day, we rented bicycles and biked all over the
      place.  It was great fun.  There are a lot of vegetarian places
      there; yum!  Portland is a great city.
    * A water-filled desert.  Mono Lake is basically a dessert to the east
      of Yosemite.  We signed up for a tour of the Mono Lake area lead by
      a naturalist/botanist (http://www.footlooseforays.com).  (See
      clothing section below.)  It was challenging.  I was always out of
      breath and the thinner high-altitude air didn't help.  The hikes
      were always in morning and we got the afternoons off.  The pattern
      was

        eat an oatmeal breakfast at a local diner
	hike there
	eat a light
	lunch hike
	back go to the motel
	collapse and take a nap
	eat dinner somewhere

      The "dinner" part was also challenging.  There were few places with
      vegan options; I brought my own food, but that was probably
      unnecessary since there were a couple of markets where I could've
      picked something up.  If you want to see photos of the trip, surf
      over to http://photos.yahoo.com/noelle .
    * I'll have Morro that.  On the way back from Christmas vacation last
      year, we rented a hottub at Sycamore Hot Springs in Avila Beach.
      After that, we stayed in Morro Bay.  It was mostly cloudy and
      frequently cool in Morro Bay, but was fun.  We had brought our
      bicycles down and we biked to Morro Rock from our motel.  We saw an
      otter floating around, eating fish.  It was a nice little town.
      Although we didn't get to try it, they had a bus system where you
      dial a number and ask to be picked up.  I don't understand why even
      big cities don't have a system like that.
  * Food
    * Acquaintances, mostly.  We've been going to more and more
      southbayveggies events and they finally recognize me and Noelle and
      we them.  Friendships haven't yet arrived, 'though.
    * More small donkeys.  Noelle and I have reviewed many burrito places
      (under the name "robertb") on http://burritophile.com this year.
    * Too old for the floor.  Noelle and I held a dinner party in fall.
      Because we still don't have enough table space nor chairs, everyone
      sat on the floor.  I was sore after this and I think others were,
      too.  I believe we're getting too old for the floor.  We'll probably
      invest in some folding tables and chairs.  In any case, we offered
      Thai and Indian vegetarian food.  At least, the food was unique and
      came out well.
  * People
    * Missing persons.  Last solstice message, some messages bounced.  I no
      longer have email addresses for these people:

        Louis Dunne
        Michael Teixeira
        Marc Berkowitz
        Clayton Glad
        Mike Hamrick
        Jin Young
        Dave Parker
        Louise Zivnuska

      If you're in contact with any of these people, please tell them that
      I am missing their email addresses.
  * Health
    * RSI
    * Exercise
      * Sorta ended with a wimper.  The bi-weekly Bhangra dance classes
        that a guy at So_ny was sponsoring never became very popular.  In
        the end, it just was me and the sponsoring person.  Oh, well.  So
        much for my "dance career"...
      * Never broke the chain.  I was commuting to my gym via bus for a
        while, but happily Bally Fitness expanded to a location in
        downtown where-I-live, about 1.25 miles away.  Very convenient.
  * Clothing
    * Birks won't cut it.  I had to give in and buy leather shoes for the
      first time in years.  I had to buy hiking boots for our Mono Lake
      trip, and I refused to buy another pair of uncomfortable boots.  (My
      leatherless Doc Martens kill my feet each time I wear them.
      Unfortunately, my selection of rain-protective shoes are limited.)
      I decided to buy some Birkenstock hiking boots.  Despite their
      excessive cost (don't ask), they are quite comfortable and had no
      problem wearing them all day.  I was very relieved.

Entertainment
  * Movies
    * Moving to Web 2.0, or maybe Web part deux?  I put up movies which
      are not in MovieLens (http://movielens.umn.edu) on

        http://wikilens.org/wiki.php/robertb/MovieRatings?show_rated_by_active=0

      My Movielens ratings of recent movies continue to be at
      http://tinyurl.com/3xxea .
    * Cinequest.  There are just a few movie theaters in where-I-live and
      only 1 downtown.  So, when we found out about Cinequest 2006, we
      leaped at the opportunity to see a few movies.  It was hard to
      determine what might be good and what wouldn't (I tried looking on
      http://imdb.com for reviews), but I think our selections were good.
    * Even better than MST3K.  Noelle and I have been trying
      http://rifftrax.com .  It's the same guys from Mystery Science
      Theater 3000 commenting on movies, but instead of the commentary
      coming with the film, you download an MP3 file and play it
      synchronously with the movie.  (We rent the movies from Netflix.)
      Because they can make fun of mainstream movies, it can be very
      humorous.  If you'd like to keep track of the Rifftraxs we've tried,
      check out http://wikilens.org/wiki.php/Rifftrax .
  * Music
    * Taiko means drum.  Noelle enrolled me in a Japanese Taiko drumming
      workshop for my birthday.  (The distance in time between my birthday
      and the workshop, however, was great.  The workshop was in early
      December and my birthday is early in the year.)  It was very
      interesting and fun, but it takes a toll on one's body -- my
      shoulders and hands were sore.  Unfortunately, all the classes have
      waiting lists (this workshop did, hence the late date).  I may or
      may not take a Sunday morning class, I haven't decided.
  * Television
    * Can't break the Netflix dependency.  Because the TV stations here
      are so weak (in all senses) and we do not desire cable, we still
      depend upon Netflix to view TV programs.  Which is isn't so bad --
      it's like a very slow TiVo.  We're completely caught up on all
      Mystery Science Theater 3000s released.  We'll soon be caught up on
      Scrubs.  We're waiting for the next season of Foyle's War and
      (sadly) the last season Monk.  You can always see my Netflix queue at
      http://tinyurl.com/qu8lj .  If you'd like to be a Netflix Friend,
      drop me a line.
  * Radio
    * Not quite becoming a pod.  We've been subscribing to a number of
      podcasts via iTunes on Noelle's computer.  It's really great.  It's
      radio listening in overdrive time-shifting.  (I also listen to
      technology podcasts at work; or, at least, I try to.  It's been busy
      at work these last 2 months and it's hard to find any free time to
      immerse myself.  I also managed to pipe text blogs into
      http://feed2podcast.com and listen to that.  I can "read" blogs
      while I'm doing other things.)
  * Spoken word
    * The only loud mimes.  We saw the SF Mime Troupe's "Godfellas" in
      Mitchell Park in Palo Alto with Noelle's dad.  We drank wine and ate
      an afternoon supper.  It was fun and interesting.  I guess even the
      south bay has culture.

Politics/Society
  * Ecology/Environment
    * Overpopulation
      * Good exercise, besides.  Noelle and I volunteered for Mar Monte
	Planned Parenthood (our local south bay chapter) to pamphlet
	against proposition 85 (teen parental notification) in a where-I-live
	neighborhood.  We figured that we walked 4.5 miles.  We were
	exhausted after that.  And, unfortunately, a lot of people in San
	 just didn't bother to vote, so it ultimately probably made
	only a tiny difference.  (Proposition 85 thankfully failed, BTW.)
  * Voting/Elections
    * The good guys lost early.  Whether it was the where-I-live mayoral
      election or our city council, the ones I voted for were well off the
      map.  We were left with a bunch of lesser-of-two-evils.  Very sad.

Technology
  * Software
    * PC
      * Linux
        * Valley geek.  I've been starting to go to the Silicon Valley
          Linux Users Group.  It's monthly, but I only go occassionally
          since my job keeps me busy these days.
        * Sarge.  I upgraded from Debian Woody to Sarge on my main 233Mhz
          machine.  It was a pain because I had made many customizations
          over the years and my symbolic link in the /lib directory caused
          me much grief.  I hope I will not have to go through that
          nonsense again, and future upgrades will go smoothly as long as
          this PC continues to live...
      * Windows
        * Cute as a fox.  I finally made to move to Firefox from Internet
          Explorer.  I figured since Microsoft is no longer supporting my
	  Windows 98, it would be safer to use Firefox.  It seems like PCs
          just won't die, but I'll have to keep using my old technology.
          Oh, well.
    * Mac
      * Freaking out.  We played CDs in Noelle's Mac at one of our dinner
	parties.  At one point, Noelle stuck in a CD and it refused to
	play nor eject.  I hard-reset the Mac and after that it couldn't
	boot.  All the standard Apple utilities to repair the hard drive
	did nothing.  I ended up having to buy Diskwarrior and it fixed it
	right up.  I was afraid I'd have to bring the machine back to
	Fry's and have them reformat the machine and I'd have to reinstall
	all the software.  I was busy at work at the time and just
	couldn't afford the time.  I'm glad it was resolved.
      * Our main printing machine.  I configured the Mac to be our main
	printing machine, but it only works marginally.  The problem is
	that Apple decided not to provide full support for this HP
	printer.  So, we sometimes have to wait 15 minutes before a page
	pops out.  It's a conspiracy.

Why do you want this page removed?